February 27th is National Strawberry Day and to celebrate we are showcasing some of the Orange County Restaurant Week Menus that have dishes featuring these delicious red gems!
Canaletto Ristorante Veneto
Strawberry-rum gelato, chocolate hazelnut gelato and pistachio gelato, folded together with cherries, chocolate chips and pistachios; served with raspberry and chocolate sauce
Chocolate Strawberry Cake
Double chocolate cake layered with dark chocolate buttercream & fresh strawberries
Farrell's Ice Cream
Strawberry Ice Cream and Strawberry Shakes & Malts
Prime Cut Café
Chocolate Pots De Crème
Callebaut Chocolate, Cherry Brandy, Strawberry Coulis and Salted Peanuts
PEANUT BUTTER & JELLOUSY
Slater’s favorite and award winning! Sterling Silver ground beef topped with thick cut bacon, creamy peanut butter and strawberry jelly on a honey wheat bun.
Lulu's Creperie Café
Organic Mixed Green Salad w Strawberries & Walnuts
New York Cheesecake
With a drizzle of strawberry sauce
Vanilla Bean Custard served with Grappa marinated Fresh Strawberries
Newport Rib Company
Homemade Cheesecake with Strawberry Topping
Fresh Seasonal Berries
Assortment of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
Why are they called "Strawberries"??
- One legend says that strawberries were named in the 19th century by English children who picked the fruit, strung them on grass straws and sold them as "Straws of berries".
- Another theory is the name was derived from the 19th century practice of placing straw around the growing berry plants to protect the ripening fruit.
- The final (and probably most true to reality) theory is that the name was derived from the berries that are "strewn" about on the plants, and the name "strewn berry" eventually turned into "Strawberry".
Fun Strawberry Facts & Folklore
- There are about 200 tiny seeds in every strawberry.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- Strawberries were thought to be an aphrodisiac in France. The French make a soup of strawberries, thinned sour cream, borage, & powered sugar and serve it to newlyweds.
- Over 53 percent of 7 to 9-year-olds picked strawberries as their favorite fruit.
- If all the strawberries produced in California this year were laid berry to berry, they'd wrap around the world 15 times.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- In California, strawberries are planted on more 38,300 acres.
- Superstition states that if you split a double strawberry in half and share it with the opposite sex, you’ll soon fall in love
- Strawberries are rich in vitamin C, potassium, folate, fiber and antioxidants
- OC Foodies favorite ways to enjoy strawberries are drizzled in chocolate or in a glass of bubbly champagne
Don't forget to download the California Strawberries app where you can quickly access more 100 amazing strawberry recipes with mouth-watering photos from mobile phones.